Friday, September 4, 2009

Facebook Has Taken Over

I've been pretty busy lately. Work and Home seem to be hopping along and free time is at a premium. Because my family seems to be addicted to Facebook, I am required to be also. That's my story, I'm sticking to it.
Last weekend were were here.






Devil's Den State Park in Winslow, Arkansas. It's quickly becoming a family favorite. There are miles upon miles of wonderful hiking trails, mountain biking trails and about 60 caves and countless crevices to explore. Usually, we are tent campers but this weekend...my sweet boy rented me a cabin. A CABIN! With a jacuzzi tub and a real kitchen! Oh my heavens it felt like the Ritz Carlton in comparison to our camp cots, 2 burner propane stove, ice chest and sharing a bathhouse with an entire campground adventures.
J and I were there to do the last of the Adventure Sprint Races put on by the Ozark Extreme Team and the small one came along hoping for a caving adventure with the bats. J has been very ill the last several weeks and we're just getting back into training together. He was a trooper. The race began about 10 a.m. with a super dooper trek thru some of the best trail areas in the park. We hit checkpoints across several different trails (and roads) on foot before getting to the mountain bike portion of the race. About 2 miles into the bike, my chain broke. J fixed it for me but pretty soon, the whole rear derailleur broke free from the frame and I was forced to "scooter" my bike. Eventually the decision was made that we couldn't possibly finish with me pushing my bike and we had to "quit" after 4 hours of hard labor. That was a tough call. Very tough. I felt like we were doing well especially considering J had really Manned Up for me after being so sick. Oh well. At least it was during a short race and not the "big one" coming up.
Later that evening we took the small one for a 2 hour guided hike with the park interpreter Casey. She appreciated it because it meant a slow hike. We, are not slow hikers. In the end we stayed back to explore a cave and got mulitple bat fly-bys! So cool.


The next morning we had that yummy french toast in the picture and headed out for another hike on Yellow Rock trail. What a gorgeous day we had. We could not have asked for better weather. I mean seriously, August in Arkansas and it was PLEASANT. That just doesn't happen people.
And now, back to the regularly scheduled program...a busy life.

No comments: