Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Lumpy Saga



About 3 hours before the picture above was taken....




This picture was snapped...


It may not look so bad, in all honesty it didn't feel that bad either. Yet. But it was broken. The pain would come.  At the time, it seemed it might have been worthwhile but in retrospect, NOT.
For 8 long weeks I wrapped that little finger in tiny ace bandages and kept a hard plastic splint on it except for the 5-6 times a day I had to take it all off and exercise it lest I lose flexibility which is common with this injury apparently as I was warned by the Dr. , her nurse, and the physical therapist.
After 8 weeks the Dr. cleared me to stop wearing the splint but when I asked how much longer it would hurt she said "Oh, at least a year probably and especially when it's cold." That is not what you want to hear in October. I could handle the news that my knuckle would never be the same, it would always be bigger. But this pain thing...not so much. Good news is, I have great movement and flexibility but it hurts like the dickens. Especially in the cold. Arrrrggghhhh. It's going to be a long winter.
So the other day, J looks at my hand and says "That finger is kind of lumpy, we should just start calling it Lumpy." Thus, Lumpy was born. I expect she might even have her own stocking this year. It will be filled with coban wrap, ibuprofen and bengay.
Excuse me,Lumpy and I have to go sit out on the porch in a rocking chair and predict the weather by her pain.

2 comments:

Karen Jacobs said...

Have you tried Tiger Balm? Just smelling it makes 'some' of the hurt go away... used it when I had plantar fasciitis a while back and I swear it helped some. Hope Lumpy isn't too much of a pain... little fingers are sooo attached!

FishrCutB8 said...

Stay tough!