Thursday, October 9, 2008

Reflections on Racing

Volunteers- can be the greatest thing since sliced bread. See note about Joe telling me he could tell where I was and how hard I wasN'T working on the run in Russellville because he could hear me talking to the volunteers. I kind of did the same thing at the Heber Tri, I like to be sure the volunteers know it's appreciated not just expected. Sometimes, the volunteer barely manages to lift his hand to point in the direction you need to go. Other times, they are the only smile you see for miles, the only encouraging words you hear for what seems like hours. They are also one of the major components that keeps races going. Where would race directors be without volunteers?
Fred Phillips/ DLT Multisport has the best volunteers. Each time I've done one of his races there have been super nice folks out there helping him. To the lady marking us up who said "well you LOOK like you know exactly what you're doing" thanks. To the dude in the kayak that did NOT make fun of me, or ask me what the hell I was thinking if I couldn't even swim a couple a hundred yards without freaking, who kept his voice calm and stayed close by the whole way-Thank you. To the folks on the bike course, especially the family who let us use your driveway as a turnaround, Thank you. To all the people on the run that didn't fill the cups too full and made sure we all knew exactly where we could get gatorade or water, Thank you.
In response to my proclamation "that bike course ROCKED" I got a "YOU rock" and a high five from Fred. Thanks Fred. After the utter disappointment of my terrifying time in the water, I needed that. Bad.

3 comments:

FishrCutB8 said...

Triathlon does funny, amazing things to people. You did it--that's what really matters. I just read your RR and I am so proud of you for sticking it out. It's not easy to race when you're freaking out, but you stuck to it.

Don't quit on it just yet. I'd say get out and swim more. And have fun swimming--it doesn't always have to be about goals--swim for fun and just enjoy swimming. You know, like we did when we were kids...

You can do this AND HAVE FUN! Honestly.

Lisa said...

It's funny you say that..."like we did when we were kids." I was terrified of the water even then. I never really learned to swim for fun. I rarely got in the water for anything more than to cool off or ride a slide. Joe says that's part of what's wrong with my head. I might try again...a few days of clarity has made me wonder "what if".
BUT-there are so many sports I do enjoy, that don't terrify me, that I could stay busy racing and never swim again :)

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.