Tuesday, June 24, 2008

And it cooks too

Sometimes I cook. Okay, I cook a lot. My hubby says that's why he's chubby but I think it's the burgers and beer. Sometimes I cook healthy, but more often I cook what's convenient. I had a friend tell me she's finally figured out why Southerners don't eat a lot of fresh produce unless they grow it themselves. It just doesn't keep well here. I never knew there was a difference but apparently in less humid climates...you can actually keep produce more than 2 days without rot setting in. Who knew?

Last year I tried the garden thing but the sun wasn't right in the spot I picked and the damn squirrels ate almost everything. This year I planted tomatoes (way too many of them it seems), jalapenos, sweet onions and squash. In my front yard. Jalapenos are being slowly harvested, tomatoes are on vine but still green. I don't know what to think of the onions, they still seem awful scrawny and the squash...well I think wild bunnies are eating them. What I do have is a butt load of basil. So I made Pesto. I've never made pesto before. I didn't like the flavor so I started messing with it and added a whole roasted sweet pepper and a couple of hunks of sundried tomato. That was better.

For dinner last night we made flat bread chicken pesto pizzas out of it. We spread the fresh pesto on the flat bread, sprinkled a few garlic roasted tomatoes, grilled chicken bits and lots o parmesan on top and baked them until toasty. Yum. I'm sure that despite the copious amount of olive oil in the pesto-this pizza has got to be healthier than ordering Papa Johns (as much as I love a big meat pie)
Then we ruined it with Key Lime Pie for dessert.

The oldest offspring was at the house for dinner and a late birthday (hers) and a late father's day celebration. Not really a celebration- we didn't buy her anything as she's in the process of changing abodes and we want to get her something she doesn't have to move twice. HE got more tools. With all she's learning about set construction-she's much better at buying useful tools than I have been. Maybe he'll even use these to build me something. That would be nice. She did mention (twice at least) that she's now 21. Her father continues to ignore this as in his head he'd prefer she was 12, still thought boys have cooties (sorry Jeremy) and had no intention of growing up. Ever. Good luck with that dad.

No comments: