Friday, February 22, 2008

Does cycling make debates more fun?

Last night while attempting to watch the Democratic debates I got on the trainer and cycled my way into confusion. A good 40 minutes of pedaling. I was actually on the bike for at least 45 but I'm discounting my time for having to pause to ask, "what did he/she say?" and "how the heck is that going to help ME?" mmmmm I hate emotional politics. Though after the debate the political hounddog analysts were all discussing Hillary's final shining moment, I thought her use of "graphic hearwrenching" descriptions of her visit to a rehab wing for wounded Vets was a bit, well, self serving. Oh, these are politicians. Never mind. I had to agree it was one of her better TV moments but why? because she knows how to use other people's misery for effect? cool. When she lived here in Arkansas I felt absolutely no connection to her or her "causes" despite the fact that I SHOULD have been directly affected by her supposed desire to help others attain the kind of "blessed" life she has led. I honestly do not see anyone in Arkansas benefiting from her time here except for her close friends who now have access to powerful people or have become powerful themselves. The education system is still in the toilet, roads suck and we have a welfare list that reads longer than Santa's naughty or nice list AND our colleges have to offer free tuition and a stipend equal to or exceeding tuition costs just to get 2 years of teaching committment in the Delta. It's the economy stupid. I suppose those complaints would leave the Huckster out in the cold too.
My question for the day. I agree that going into Iraq was a blunder and we need to be out of there sooner rather than later. I understand that being able to "promise" that troops will begin coming home immediately sounds fantastic. BUT, in a withdrawal situation, the safety of the troops is paramount. How much will the security of OUR men and women suffer as they continue to do their jobs while their comrades leave? How small can your force be before they are at even more risk? Just a thought. I'm no strateegerizer. hehehe

No comments: