Monday, February 11, 2008

Of Rascally Plants and Power Pedalers

The weather was gorgeous here this weekend, into the upper 50's during the day. Saturday was a day spent in the yard cleaning up the crepe myrtles and boxwood, disasters to the core. I wish I had the money to completely re creat our landscaping but it will have to wait. We did take a sidetrip to the bike shop to pick up a few supplies and talk to our buddy Sarah who just got her "ticket" to the Leadville 100 mountain bike race. Ugh, a 100 mile dirt ride that STARTS at an elevation of just over 10,000 ft and the turnaround at 12,600. Criminy. Web site says 14,000 feet of gain-holy mother I think I'll pass out just reading it. Go Sarah.

Sunday was another nice day so after a luxurious morning of reading the paper and having coffee, we headed a few miles down the road to Burns Park for a run. It's the first run longer than a couple of miles I've tried on road or asphalt in weeks. Knees unhappy. Honestly I think it's that trail, it's cursed. I did most of my half marathon training on that trail and dammit it hates me.
Any way... 1 hour and 45 minutes of running, hiking and walking on and off road. River trail, Emerald Park Trail, Ft. Roots and back. We had to stop more today because Joe was hurting. He hasn't run in close to a year. Bike yes, run no. Out the door go the assumptions that fit is fit. The man will tear me up on a bike- I just can't keep up but his running has gone the way of old tired tennis shoes you keep on the porch for yard work.
The diet was not horrible, but certainly not 100% to code this weekend. Heading to a bar for a band on Friday was a big part of the debauchery, and might have been worth it if it weren't for the headache on Saturday. Lite Weight. Cheap Date. Wuss.

No comments: