Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Desperately Seeking Begonias

Today is Earth Day. I only know that because my kid's school asked us to send flowers and planting implements with them today. As much as I'm sure the school yard could use some beautificationing, I think I'd rather donate a shrub or tree rather than a full flat of annuals but then what would the other 43 kids do while the 5 expensive plants got put in the ground? I made the mistake of not buying flowers until last night. See, I keep my calendar at work. Which means if it happens Tues-Fri I'm right on top of it. If it is supposed to happen on a Monday, you get what you get. Do ya feel lucky? Well do ya, punk? After several weeks of storms, general rainfall, cold, and sometimes cylindrical downdrafts that tear trees from the ground and shift houses off their foundations- we had a gorgeous weekend. Which meant that the garden areas at all the local stores got cleaned out. But I wasn't thinking about that. It was Monday. I needed flowers. Lots of them. Crap. I almost resorted to a "box 'o' seeds" with a note about how patience is a virtue blah blah blah. Then around a corner I see them. A couple of flats of begonias. ick. Come on. Begonias? Not my favorite. I admit, they can be pretty. So can azaleas but every house I've ever lived in has seen any azaleas that weren't bigger than I am (yes we have 3 of those monsters at our current abode) torn out. And the roots chopped up. I loathe them. Back to begonias. I put one nice looking flat in my basket and proceed to pick out 6 or 8 small perennials for myself even though I swore I was done planting anything else to add to our 10 year plan for our yard. Okay so I bought 2 of these gorgeous creatures despite the fact that I am almost positive our frigid winter will kill them dead. For $3 a pop, I'll savor them as long as they last. I wonder if I'll get to visit my begonias in the school yard. I wonder how many bazillion flats of begonias got brought to the school today. I wonder if anyone else forgets what they're supposed to be doing unless they come to work to see their desk blotter calendar.

workout Monday 4-21:
After the exercise in annual flower futility-
cycling on the trainer 5 min warm up, 30 minutes HARD, 3 minute warm down
The TV was on so in between cooking a dinner to be refrigerated for the NEXT night, I did upper body work with light weights (10-15lbs) and resistance bands. I totally lost track of time and reps but I know I included: push ups, RBand bicep curl, lateral raises and tricep pullovers, shoulder press, french press, flys, pec flys and chest presses

No comments: