Monday, April 21, 2008

Guilt Gene?

Is there like some special guilt gene that turns on when you make the jump into motherhood? Last weekend, I only felt a little guilty, at least while I was spending hours out in the yard there was another kid in our house to help entertain the one who actually lives there. This weekend wasn't so bad, I spent less time in the yard but not by much and we had the oldest at home with bfriend in tow for dinner and then to the middle one's play at school. By the time Sunday rolled in, the little one was bored and ready to go to Gma's house. I know for a fact that all she'll do is sit, eat and watch TV or play on the computer but what can I offer her? Do I say, never mind the yard or my own workout plans, let's go for a family bike ride or a walk? No. I say grab your stuff I'll take you over there. It's not like we never do anything as a family on the weekends. It just feels like I'm often more concerned about a clean house, a nice yard, or getting my own idea of a weekend workout in to be concerned about the kid NOT sitting at a computer or TV all day. Guilt trip over.
This weekends workouts included- several hours of yard work, a very short mountain bike ride and the calorie burn of anger, bitterness and guilt.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Don't feel guilty! You're a fantastic mother-she even has her own kayak for peet's sake. But, you need adult time, too.

Lisa said...

Thanks Sarah, I know better but the guilt creeps in. That kayak needs to get wet too!

Marykaa said...

Besides... you are setting a good example.. kids learn alot from having active parents..