Monday, September 15, 2008

I Like Ike? Not so much.

This weekend Arkansas was again reminded that we are still a southern state where the weather in the Gulf of Mexico affects us, whether we want it to or not. Before the moon has completed her phases, we have been smacked with the second plate of hurricane leftovers. Luckily the rainfall was much less than anticipated and the wind damage, though in some instances enough for structural damage, wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. But.
We were ready for a sprint triathlon on Sunday morning. Ike was supposed to be hitting us late Saturday night, wee hours of Sunday. Because a race of this size requires a good number of police/EMS/citizen volunteers, it was decided on Saturday morning that the risk was too great. To have the community left with less protection during a potentially hazardous weather situation was not worth it. Not to mention the fact that some people are insane and will go out in all kinds of foul weather to race and not consider that it means that others have to be out there to make sure you aren't a total bonehead who gets themselves maimed or killed. It's okay. I am both disappointed and yet relieved. I need more pool time. So I'm using the next 3 weeks to continue my journey to NOT PANICKING IN THE WATER. I had to yell because that's what is going on in my head when I'm swimming laps. A lot of internal yelling.
Also, about the time we found out the tri was cancelled- J picked up a news release about an alternative tri much like one of our favorites- The Rugged Man-triathlon. Except this one looks tougher on the bike and run where the paddle might not be quite as bad as RM. 5.5 mile on/off road run, paddle across Lake Dardanelle, 17 mile road bike. Yowzah. I haven't signed us up yet because I already signed up for a replacement Tri, the organizer of the cancelled tri then sends out a message that he MIGHT be able to reschedule, which means if I sign us up for Rugged Man, we could potentially be racing 3-4 weekends in a row. And off we go....WEEEEEEEE
I'd better start training for real.

No comments: