Friday, May 23, 2008

One Eyed Monster

NO not THAT one. Perv. My cycle-ops trainer.
So I need to ride the bike more, but it takes planning and time since it's not like I can just put on a pair of running shoes and go. Bikes usually end up being loaded on the car and taken to a starting point, yada yada. It's a good thing Joe bought that indoor trainer, it has made it easier to ride but man does it wear me out. Last night I watched a TV show that the small one wanted to see while I rode the bike. Hard. My shirt was completely soaked and I was dripping sweat onto the floor. Gross, right? Yeah, but it was cool to go weigh myself afterward and be a pound lighter. Only lasted about 40 minutes but I think it was the best/hardest trainer workout I've had in a while. Now that I have the trainer thing down, I need to figure out the whole how to measure intervals and speed on it. I just ride till it hurts and then slow down?

3 comments:

Marykaa said...

hi.. I don't know if this can help but : The 3 HIITs I use most are
a) 15secs/90secs
b) 1 mins / 2 mins
c) 3 mins / 3 mins
in each you go as hard as you can while lasting the full 15 secs, 1 min, or 3 mins. Each works a differtent energy system.

when you can do a number good number of intervals, it's better to split them up.. like do 4 intervals .. then some low intensity 10 mins, and an other 4 intervals than to do 8 intervals in a row,

the 15 secs/ 90 secs intervals are better done with audio (.mp3) telling you when to start, stop and recuperate.. going all out max for 15 secs is very difficult when you have a watch to look at .

Lisa said...

Thanks Mary. I'm not quite as unstructured as I seem but I don't always do HIIT the way I know I should. Good suggestions...I'll try to keep something close to that next time.

Marykaa said...

bah.. I do unstrtuctured ones as well.. they are actually the original intervals.. (before my time). I call them Fartlek intervals and pass as a real serious trainer. LOL

Wikipédia says "Swedes came up with a term for a type of training that lies in between interval training and plain distance training: Fartlek, which means speed play, and consists of distance running "anywhere" with burst of harder running at more irregular points, lengths, and speeds compared with interval training. "