Monday, May 5, 2008

run drive paddle sleep paddle drive

Saturday dawned bright and early, a cold but sunny morning. The car was already loaded down with camping supplies with one kayak on top. After selling our canoe, Joe bought a tandem kayak and we were heading out to pick it up after the small one's softball practice. To make good use of time-I decided to run while the girls practiced. Yes I know it would mean smelly clothes the rest of the day but I couldn't help thinking about the 4lbs of fried onions and BBQ I had eatent the night before. About 3 miles with some nice little roller hills later, the girls were on their last drill and practice was cut short by cold temps and wind. Of course, I was all sweaty despite the temp because well, I'm a sweathog. After picking up a few last minute supplies we were off! We stopped for lunch in Russellville and I ate more junk. Junk I know better than to put in my mouth (did you know Satan owns Taco Bell?) Sigh, I always complain but it never seems to stop me. We were back in the car and headed toward Waldron in no time. We finally got there around 3 p.m., and the boat turned out to be a beaut and everyone, at least the grown ups, were anxious to get to the park so we could put her in the water. It was another 1 1/2 hours in the car to Kirby and Daisy State Park on Lake Greeson. Woo hoo- oh crap. Now we have to unload, set up camp, blah blah blah.

The small one took her kayak out while the big people set up camp. We paddled around for a bit, each spending time in the new one, even had a short race girls against guy. The girls won but I'm not sure it wasn't a set up. Soon the sun was getting low and it was time to come off the water.

After one attempt to play trivial pursuit, which despite our general lack of knowledge was still fun, we got out the monopoly. A fight to the death was on. We managed to scarf down a cold pasta salad with crackers and spinach dip while scheming against each other and grand shows of wealth and real estate prowess. And in between....I was trying to keep a fire going with badly aged firewood. I was distracted. After attempting to fiscally bludgeon her parents, the small one was so exhausted that she fell onto her camp cot and started snoring almost immediately. The bludgeonees were not far behind.

I love camping alone. We had the only occupied site in the area and it was good. No one to play their loud music or stay up talking loudly all night. We slept even later than we normally would at home. The small one paddled around in what was left of the morning mist while the big one took pictures of said mist and I .... well I made breakfast of course. After breakfast we went for a short hike and ended up at the playground squeeling like the piglets we are. Time to pack up most of our gear and get some lunch. Yea, I cooked again. We took the boats out for a paddle down the lake to Self Creek Marina where we encountered a lovely not so guard dog and ICE CREAM! I suppose it is unusual to see people powered vessels pull up to a marina, but should it be? Goodness we were exhausted by the time we made it back to our camp but now it was in the car for the drive home. Thankfully it was only 1 1/2 hours and the small one slept almost the entire way. You would think that a new kayak would be the highlight of the trip but I'm afraid if you ask the small one she would say it was the GINORMOUS carp carcass that she found while exploring the empty campground. I have pictures. I'm not sure I'll post those though.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm so jealous of your weekend. I'm ready for some serious river time.