Monday, July 14, 2008

Gluttony



This is Phillips Grocery in Holly Springs, Mississippi. Yes it is as old and broke down as it looks. Maybe more so. But they had good hamburgers, onion rings and fried pies. Unfortunately that meal was neither the beginning nor the end of my weekend gluttony. It began with a bathroom break in Brinkley. And hashbrowns from Burger King. But not at the same time exactly.

Saturday morning we set out bright and early to meet J's parents halfway between our respective domiciles. That happened to be Holly Springs. Well I had no idea what there was to see or do there but we are always on the lookout for culinary experiences so when meeting for lunch to turn over the youngest snotbag for a week of fun and frivolity with Grandparents and cousins came up, I was on that interwebz thingee lookin for a real experience. That's how I found out about Phillips. Built in 1898 across from a railroad depot, it was a saloon in its former life before finding redemption as a grocery/restaurant in 1948. Character. Old pieced together tables and chairs, vinyl tablecloths, memorabilia and old newspapers on display. And the food wasn't half bad. It was just like my mama's old imperfect round-ISH burgers on soft buns served up with crunchy onion rings (and we sampled some fried shrooms too) and a fried pie that was a bit on the crusty side but the crust was sweet instead of just being doused with powdered sugar after the fact so it wasn't half bad either. I didn't get to bite the apple but my peach one was just peachy keen. Snark, that was lame.
THEN-on the way home, at yet another pottie break, J was walking around the store with a Meat Stick. Oh loverly Meat Sticks. I had to have one too. I even showed him how for only 20 cents more, he could get the big thick one, the messing with Sasquatch one. And I bought a king size 3 musketeer. Which is really just 2 of them in a long package so I LET J have one of them. Then at home we sat around with our big guts, eating chips. Then we moved out in public with our guts and drank lots of beer while listening to live music. And had 4th meal from Taco Bell at 1 a.m. Oh you gotta love that! I was in Junk Food heaven. Until I realized that to work it off, I'd have to work out every single day and not eat again till Thursday. Which won't happen. Oh well.

No comments: