Friday, July 11, 2008

Hearing Myself Stalk I mean Talk

I know this was supposed to start out as a way for me to hold myself accountable for actually moving my fat butt, but wouldn't a notebook do the same thing? Why in tarnation would anybody else care whether or not I stunk up my carpool bus or was sweaty enough to ensure that I got a seat row to myself (and that means the ONLY person who got to sit alone), or if I won or lost on the climb to the top and Pinnacle? I'm not that young, but I'm not ready for Depends either and it seems to me that young people aren't the only ones losing their ability to interract face to face. I get irritated with the seeming pervasiveness of cell phones, texting, IM's, AIM, ChatRooms, Email whatever. Then I realize that although I still don't get the necessity of texting, I am as guilty as the 12 year old when it comes to avoiding actual conversation. I'd rather email than phone. Any day. I'd just as soon read everyone else's blog than to suck up my selfish time greed and call or meet for dinner or something just to catch up. I wasn't always this way. I used to really get off on the whole social thing despite always having a phone aversion. Okay the phone aversion started after teenagehood but still. Now I do everything possible from ordering clothes and gear to paying bills to setting up service calls. If I can find a way to do something online and avoid a conversation, by damn I'll do it. Even if it takes longer. Isn't that screwed up?
I think my husband is rubbing off on me. He played along for awhile, even got into planning some of those melees we called parties. These days he is as likely as I to wait till the last second, because sometimes we just can't plan to have free time, and then go-"shouldn't we call so-n-so, maybe we could go out?" There's the round of "well these people are always too busy, these people hate bars and/or don't appreciate live music, these people have little kids and either can't get a sitter or worse, bring them along. J has developed a strong dislike for children. He's gone all crotchity old man. Then we sit on the couch, wander into the office or someone yells "FOOSBALL" and the moment is gone. I suppose it's a darn good thing we enjoy each other's company. Of course, there are lots of people who don't enjoy OUR company so maybe it's better that we just hole up in our hovel and shake our fists at anyone who comes near the door. Then blog about it.

No comments: