Monday, July 21, 2008

Lake Water Doesn't Taste Good

As a reward for driving 6.5 hours to Tuscaloosa to pick up the small one, we got to hang out with family and play on the water. And eat.
I know I'll have pictures to post at some point but for now I'm pictureless. Friday night was a chance to catch up with folks. I got to hang with my sisters-in-law, talking trash, gossiping, and drinking beer.
Saturday I ushered J out of bed early- neither of us could sleep- and went out for a run around the lake. It's only about 2.5, maybe a smidge more, but it's rolling hills the whole way. Man the humidity and the beer from the night before did me no favors. Not only did he beat me in by about 10 yards (the same 10 I gave up at the beginning of the run and could never make up) but I really wanted to be able to vomit. Instead I rested a few minutes then did some plyometrics in the driveway. Out on the lake for the remainder of the day. Tried some swimming but had no goggles. The eyesight thing is going to be a problem, I just can not function without correctitve lenses and lake water doesn't work well with contacts. Doesn't work with spray either as I found out when I stupidly agreed to go tubing. I found out 2 years ago that I just don't enjoy it. I'm obviously a glutton for other types of punishment, this just isn't my bag, baby. Went out on the lake for a late afternoon kayak even though arms were sore and tired. Good thing because Sunday morning came and I couldn't convince j to do anything- which made it possible for us to get packed and gone by 9:15 though.
On the way home we stopped at Mud Island in Memphis. We drive by there a number of times each year but never stop. It was okay. The museum was actually better than we expected and if it hadn't been quite as hot, the riverwalk would have been better too.
It's good to be home.

No comments: